Friday, April 3, 2009

Hammond Pro 44 melodion review - the good and the not-so-good


I've been a big fan of melodicas - nothing else sounds quite like them - a cross between a harmonica and an accordion. Their sound can be quite mood evoking in the right settings with the right amount of reverb o echo or whatever.

I just picked one of these up and the first thing I have to say is it wasn't cheap. I bought my first melodica in 1978 for 10 or 20 bucks. My second purchase was about 8 or 9 years ago for a Hohner that's not too bad and it was about $125. They were glorified toys really.

The Suzuki Hammond is $550 right now! Phew! But, you get what you pay for right? Sort of.

So what's the deal? Well, after reading the review in Keyboard magazine I decided it was going to be a cool addition to my instrument arsenal, and it was right around my birthday so I had the perfect justification.

It's much more of an instrument than my other melodica. The sound is at least 75% better, fuller richer. The wood finish looks like the fine wood grain on a Lexus (key words -" looks like " - it's really plastic), and the internal mic seemed like a good thing to have when playing with a band. The keys feel pretty good an don't click and clack like the Hohner but they are thinner and smaller than the Hohner! ?

The Keyboard review talked about the tone, volume, keys and was overall very positive. While the info in the review was true, there were many things Michael Gallant failed to mention.

The air hose is cheap, like a Mattel toy, and it's really short. You have to hunch over while playing the thing if it's sitting on your piano. Hammond says they are looking into an extension. We'll see - I hope so. They said it may take 30 days before one is available. I'm hoping they aren't just saying this so that the short tube comments don't start showing up on the forums, denting possible sales. I will keep you posted as to whether this problem gets worked out. This is a real make-or-break deal for me. (Hammond, are you listening?) If an extension hose or another hose all together is not offered, I will be left to rigging up my own air hose with some Home Depot shopping. An item that is played by blowing into it is not returnable. Truth be told, I'm not sure I would return it if I could - I really do like the thing. But. . . .

The goose neck air tube is heavy and awkward - so I far I can't see any use for it. Interestingly, the 44 is louder with the goose neck than it is with the air hose - probably because more air can get through it.

The mouthpiece is a cheap-feeling piece of plastic. I would have expected some sort of replaceable cork and a hard rubber mouthpiece similar to a saxophone type set up.

It is quite prone to feedback and it is quite a challenge when playing with a loud band. It is controllable but tricky.

The volume control is on the right hand side makes no sense. (My Moog also has this. Do the designers ever go out and play the prototypes of instruments? Sems like they could figure out a volume control on the left makes way more sense.)

The backpack design of the gig bag is really weird. Is anyone really going to put a strap over each shoulder and wear this 3 lb. instrument bag like a backpack? (I picture little kids walking to school - but these would be spoiled little kids to have such an expensive toy.) It should have one decent strap and a better handle. (Designers again - how would you carry this thing? Do straps make sense?) I will be looking into some sort of case for it to protect it better. Again, this should have been more thought out. This is a really small thing.

In my opinion, for $550, it should be an overall better instrument. I like it but I'm somewhat disappointed so far - if it were $250 I'd be fine with it. I can overlook straps on the gig bag - who cares? I can deal with controlling the feedback - turn it off when not in use etc. I could probably rig up a better mouthpiece system with the help of my instrument repair guy. The biggest let down is that darn air hose. It should have been longer and of better quality. What happens if the cheap plastic gets a tear in it and they no longer make the 44? Home Depot again!

I am beginning to suspect manufacturers get a nod and a wink in Keyboard magazine reviews for an exchange in ad revenue. I'm told by the editor this isn't so. Check out my previous notes about the stuck-in-the-eighties-bad-key-action Juno Stage. Keyboard raved about this one as well.

2 comments:

Jim Roe said...

Now I know what this thing is called now!

joe bakos said...

Hi Bill, any updates on your opinion of the Hammond Melodion 44 now that you've had it for a while?