Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Banned Forever from the Ultimate Guitar Forum! Forever! OOOooo!

So I've been spreading the word about the pretty good gig podcast, interviews and conversations with musical people. The two most recent podcasts feature Tim Berens and Doug Jones - two really great guitarists with plenty of information to share with other guitarists. So I decided to post on the Ultimate Guitar Forum. The rules said no URLs so I did not put any in the post. I got the following email:

Hello Bill Kahler,

We're sorry to inform you that your account has been banned forever by Carmel. In the current case, you've significantly broke Ultimate-Guitar.Com website rules. In fact, here is the reason you've been banned for:
advertising account.

Additionally, you can not post comments and rate songs on Ultimate-Guitar'com members profiles during the period of you ban.

Sincerely,
UG Team


Wow, strong eh? Seems to me the very reason for having a forum is to spread information and help members connect to resources like hmmm. . . podcasts that have educational info etc. I was not exactly advertising - the podcast is free. I am trying to connect with musicians and offer and educational, informative and entertaining musical podcast! I guess sending messages out like the one I received makes the Ultimate Guitar Forum moderators feel special and elite! Banned forever! How will I ever get any sleep now?

Then I decide to write an email back:

Wow you guys are strung pretty tight! Sorry for trespassing on your elitist organization. I merely wanted to let folks know of a very interesting, entertaining and professionally done podcast that has much educational info and many of the episodes are guitar related with world class musicians! It's free. I was not trying to use your precious forums for my own personal gain, I only (wrongly) thought that your forum might have in its mission statement something about expanding guitar knowledge and connections with other musicians.

Bill Kahler

and got this reply: ( I love the "people like you" phrase.)

Dear Bill,
Our website runs on advertisers that pay in order to get their websites on our pages.
If people like you register to gain FREE advertisements, for gain or no gain, we will lose our paid advertisements that keep the website running.
Carmel
Forum Administrator
Ultimate-Guitar.com

1 comment:

Rob Roper said...

Guess they told you. You are obviously a very bad person, Bill. Shame on you.