Sunday, December 7, 2008

How to look like a fool while meeting Jeff Foxworthy

A couple weeks ago, I was playing in a restaurant with a friend of mine, Jeep Hook, when Jeff Foxworthy happened to come in with his wife. (At least I think she was is wife.)

So we're on about the second song of the evening, and I think "I should give him a CD!" Huh. How am I going to do that? Then I look in my bag and happen to have only one with me, so I set it aside.

We play a couple more songs. About that time I'm thinking to myself, "Shoot, what if he leaves when we're in the middle of a tune?" And suddenly, he leaves. Now I have only seconds until the valet brings his car around.

At the gig, I'm using a looper on the piano, so I can hit a switch and play sax while the loop is playing. I hit the switch to turn on the loop and run outside with the CD - luckily, our set up place is an afterthought right by an exit door. I'm pretty sure fire code would make that spot illegal for setting up musicians, but there we are.

So I run outside and say something like "Sorry to bother you but I wanted to give you a CD with a song on it that is right up your alley. It's called "Doyle, Loretta, and the Alligator Farm." He says, "Really? Gee thanks." (The song is available on itunes. . .nudge, nudge. . .)

I run back in where Jeep is playing bass and the loop is running, and start singing while laughing my head off about how I looked like an idiot and how funny that during the set I actually left the building with a keyboard loop playing and no one even noticed.

So far he hasn't called but I expect any day now, he will have his assitant call to see if I would like to go on the road with the Blue Collar Comedy Tour! . . .not!

Check out my Christmas song "Christmas Eve in the Trailer Park" at billkahler.com

2 comments:

Orange Julius Jackson said...

Nice! You might be a redneck...... if you've ever looped you piano so you can run after a comedian to give him a cd. HAHAHA!

How have you been?

Anonymous said...

Great story.

He might be a redneck if he likes "Somethin's Cookin' at the Chicken Shack".

If he doesn't, then he's a fraud. A Pointy-headed Eastern Establishment Liberal Intellectual Elitist.